We are currently seeking volunteer tax preparers to become IRS certified and provide free tax return preparation to eligible taxpayers. To establish the greatest degree of public trust, volunteers have a responsibility to provide quality service and uphold the highest of ethical standards. The primary tasks include attending IRS tax law training and certification, including the use of electronic filing software; and directly preparing each return based on information provided by the taxpayer.
VITA volunteers do more than just prepare people’s taxes. They play a critical role in ensuring that low-income workers access valuable tax credits without paying any fees.
Imagine helping someone put food on their table or saving a family from a mortgage foreclosure. As a VITA volunteer, you will help individuals and families keep their hard-earned money!
What is Vita: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites are locations around your community where hard working families will receive help in filling out their tax forms for FREE!
What do VITA volunteers do?
VITA volunteers help hard working families prepare their simple tax forms. Volunteers do need to be comfortable working on a computer. For those not interested in serving as a tax preparer, there are also non-tax-oriented volunteer positions. Spanish speaking volunteers greatly needed.
Benefits of becoming a VITA volunteer include:
- Free IRS training and materials to help you enhance your volunteer skills and resume;
- Dates and times convenient to your schedule;
- Ongoing support;
- Continuing Education Credits for eligible volunteers;
- Certificate of Recognition and Letter of Appreciation from the IRS at the end of the tax season;
- Personal satisfaction you’ll gain from providing an important service to your community.
- Volunteers of all backgrounds are welcome and prior experience is not necessary.
- Retirees, students and individuals with experience in finance are encouraged to participate.
- The tax software guides you every step of the way and volunteers are protected under the Volunteer Protection Act.
- Self-paced online training beginning November 2019 and/or classroom training in January 2020 to attain IRS certification.
- Volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per week for the Volunteer Tax Program from mid-January through April 2020.
- Basic computer skills for inputting tax return information
- Pride in performing tasks completely and accurately in a team setting.
- Deal with the public in a helpful and supportive manner. Interviewing skills training will be provided as needed
- Friendly, dependable and flexible
- 18 and older
- Is Family Friendly
- Is Not Outdoors
- Is Wheelchair Accessible
- Rewarding experience